Wednesday, November 5, 2008

the day after

citizens of the united states most certainly are proud of the dignified resolution of this 2008 presidential electoral race.

the past two elections felt very much like battle of egos, a 'gimme!' and 'mine!' arguement-- spoiled brats pulling apart a treasured teddy bear and tearing it, spilling its fragile fluffy guts.

either McCain or Obama would have served the nation to the best of his abilities-- and really served. both candidates truly seemed most interested in what is best for the country. the negative campaigning was intense, but, as country that so firmly embraces free speech, the debate speaks to the willingness and desire to learn and express as much as possible about our candidates.

the united states of america has "a profound national commitment to the principle that debate on public issues should be uninhibited, robust, and wide-open, and that it may well include vehement, caustic, and sometimes unpleasantly sharp attacks on government and public officials." New York Times Co. v. Sullivan, 376 U.S. 254, 84 S.Ct. 710.

McCain's concession speech was gracious and grateful. Obama reminded me of Kennedy.

hopefully the similarities don't run much further than the statesmanship.



I can't quite study enough right now. (no-- I did not study while watching election coverage last night)

I was, however, able to unload my kiln yesterday. my pieces shrunk a lot more than I had expected-- or maybe it just seemed like it. the things we make always seem to get smaller with time, don't they? anyway, I haven't even looked in my studio since unloading. I'm looking forward to glazing.

No comments: