Friday, November 7, 2008

dredging up the old photos


red hat, originally uploaded by nirbhao.

I made this hat for my mom's 50th birthday. I wanted to do a big hat with a wide brim, but I had no idea how. up until that point, I had really only used free patterns because I knew I needed to read stuff first to decide if I wanted to do it.

after some research, I fell in love with Annie Modesitt. I had never done millinery before-- really never even lace-- but I loved the spectator grand so much I bought two more patterns and made them, too.

I had a really good time making the hats. I should do it again.

as for the photo---
back in the dark ages *cough*2004*cough,* a 3.2 megapixel was the best an amateur could afford. yep. it's hard to believe I ever thought that looked good.


in other news!
I have two designs for my bowls that I'm working on. both are pretty complex, but I'm just about giddy watching them turn out. one is a secret for my family, and the other is going to be a "faux screenprint" Obama bowl. yes, I am that big of a nerd.

No comments: