Saturday, July 26, 2008

the biomechanics of my art

okay, first, Palmer, because she is adorable and I ♥ her


I wound the yarn that I dyed.



I'm not thoroughly thrilled with the way the india ink stuff turned out. I *love* the rooibos and turmeric. it's a good thing I have 450+ yards of each, because otherwise I would not want to swap it.

of course, I keep plugging away at the "blankie."


one of my classmates asked me what I was trying to make. hmph. I told her about the sock yarn blankie and the swaps and how much fun it all is. she commented on how long it would take me, adding, "that's going to suck."

this is a pleasure thing. why would I do it if it sucked?

some people's kids.

in other news, tomorrow I am glaze firing for the first time ever in my very own kiln with my very own pieces I threw and glazed with my very own glaze. how awesome is that?

oh, yeah. you may look at these pictures and think, "I thought Shine was in law school. does she ever study at all?" I have found that knitting or glazing for half an hour, studying for four, and then knitting or playing with clay again (and on and on) is very enjoyable. plus I feel a lot more productive.

fine print: all of the photos are links to the originals in my flickr photo stream. click = love

2 comments:

Unknown said...

*one of my classmates asked me what I
*was trying to make. hmph. I told her
*about the sock yarn blankie and the
*swaps and how much fun it all is.
*she commented on how long it would
*take me, adding, "that's going to
*suck."

*this is a pleasure thing. why would
*I do it if it sucked?

It's the whole "Is life a journey or a destination" thing. For your classmate, the point of knitting a blanket is to have a blanket. For you it is to knit. Most people have to do things that suck to get the things they want. For instance, you want a Law Degree, but I assume you don't want to study for the sake of studying. That is why brewing beer is such a great hobby for me. I love the journey as much as the destination. :)

Shine said...

don't worry. I study law because I enjoy the studying part, too.

(exaggerated wink)

it's a tao thing, I guess.